Medical Officer Collaborative
The WSMA Medical Officer Collaborative is a forum for medical
leadership from across the state to collaborate on important topics of
leadership development, health equity, and physician wellness.
It takes strong leadership to create meaningful change in practice. This learning collaborative provides a safe place to openly discuss the challenges physicians face and outline effective solutions to those challenges. Physician leaders’ insight, judgment, and credibility shape our health care delivery systems for the betterment of all patients. Together, we are committed to collaborating to enhance health care quality and safety for our communities.
The Collaborative meets throughout the year and communicates between
meetings via an email listserv. To receive event invitations and be added
to the listserv, please send your full contact information to
Call to Action
The Medical Officers of Washington state collaborate on agreed upon Call
to Action initiatives, which are health care quality and safety
initiatives that improve patient lives and healthcare delivery. The
medical officers participate in work groups comprised of several
organizations and associations, developing statewide strategies and
Call to Action initiatives:
Leadership Development: Train physicians to be exceptional leaders who balance what the
organization needs and what the individual patient needs.
Reduce disparity in health outcomes and promote diversity, inclusion,
and equity in the workforce to improve health equity.
Healthy Doctors, Healthier Patients:
Reduce administrative burden and promote evidence-based interventions to
address the drivers of burnout.
Medical Officer Collaborative Safe Table events are by invitation only for
CMOs, VPMAs, and Chiefs of Staff. The 2023 dates will be announced soon.
Scott Kennedy, MD
Chair, Medical Officer Collaborative
Chief Medical Officer, Olympic Medical Center
CMO Advisory Group
The CMO Advisory Group oversees the WSMA Medical Officer Collaborative.
They meet regularly to establish and monitor the collaborative’s Calls to
Action, set the agenda for upcoming safe table sessions, and vote on
leadership. Members include:
- Alka Atal-Barrio, MD – Optum Washington
- Daniel Getz, DO – Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center
- Richard Goss, MD – UW Medicine
- Kent Hu, MD – Optum
- Sudhakar Karlapudi, MD – PeaceHealth
- Scott Kennedy, MD – Olympic Medical Center
- Jason Lake, MD – Confluence Health
- Tom Miller, MD – Overlake Medical Center
- Kim Moore, MD – Virginia Mason Franciscan Health
- Ettore Palazzo, MD – EvergreenHealth
- Kevin Pieper, MD – Providence
- Donna Smith, MD – Virginia Mason Franciscan Health
- Tom Staiger, MD – UW Medicine
- Rachel Thompson, MD – Snoqualmie Valley Hospital
- Anne Marie Wong, MD – Harbor Regional Health