Medicare and MACRA
MACRA—the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015—will implement the most extensive collection of changes to Medicare payment methodologies since RBRVS was introduced in 1992. The WSMA can help members cope with the dizzying pace of change as efforts to move physician payments from volume to value continues. For questions, contact Bob Perna (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Follow these three steps to prepare your practice for MACRA
The WSMA is collaborating with the AMA in offering the following robust yet simplified program of education on MACRA.
1. Preparing your practice for value-based care
This AMA online module
will help you make the shift to value-based care. (See also: Guide to physician-focused payment models
2. Understanding MACRA
Summary of CMS proposed rule on MACRA (six pages) and MACRA "one-pager"
Understanding the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS)
Understanding Alternative Payment Models (APMs)
3. MACRA checklist
Whether you ultimately participate in an alternative payment model or MIPS, take these five steps to position your practice for success.
WSMA MACRA education
The WSMA and Washington State Hospital Association have joined together to offer several new educational programs to prepare clinicians, leadership and administrative staff for the migration to value-based care and MACRA.
No events scheduled at this time.
For more information and to register for two events, visit our Medicare MACRA Events page under Education and Events.
The WSMA offers several OnDemand programs designed to guide you in preparing to participate—and succeed—in these new payment models, no matter the size of your practice.
- MACRA: CMS Final Rule – Refining Your Strategy, - This free conference, co-sponsored by WSMA and the Washington State Hospital Association, was originally offered live Wednesday, Dec. 14.
- MACRA and Value-Based Care: Creating Your Organization's Strategy, This free conference, co-sponsored by WSMA and the Washington State Hospital Association, was originally offered live on Wednesday, Nov. 9. Conference materials are posted below.
- MACRA – Setting the Foundation - This free one-hour presentation, co-sponsored by WSMA and the Washington State Hospital Association, was originally offered live on Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2016.
- Creating Physician-Focused Alternative Payment Models: A Practical Workshop for Physicians - This four-hour presentation was originally offered live on Saturday, June 25, 2016, and co-sponsored by WSMA and MGMA-Washington. Presented by Harold D. Miller.
Driving the Bus or Under the Bus? Creating a Physician-Led Approach to Value-Based Care - This free one-hour webinar is presented by Harold D. Miller.
For more information and to view these programs, visit our OnDemand – Practice Operations page.
MACRA Tools and Resources
- ECG Slide Deck November 9th Conference
- Quality Measures Inventory Overview
- Value Based Readiness Self Assessment Instructions
CMS MACRA Final Rule:
New AMA Resources!
- AMA Payment Model Evaluator -- This free tool provides brief assessments to determine how practices will be impacted by MACRA.
- AMA STEPS Forward™ -- This collection of 42 modules now includes new MACRA-specific tools, addressing successful reporting on quality metrics. Each module focuses on a specific challenge and offers real-world solutions, steps for implementation, case studies, continuing medical education, and downloadable tools and resources.
- ReachMD podcast series -- The series Inside Medicare's New Payment System includes five episodes on upcoming Medicare changes.
Proposed rule – AMA comment letter, June, 27, 2016
Proposed rule – WSMA comment letter, June 27, 2016
Summary – WSMA Reports, May/June 2016
Harold Miller Q&A – WSMA Reports, July 2016
MIPS Minute videos – Qualis Health
Frequently asked questions
MedPAC Report to Congress – June 2016
Comparison with prior law
Health Affairs blog – Mark McClellan